Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Imagine the Angels of Bread

I'm tempted to rename this post, "Imagine the Devils of the Internet" after losing an almost-complete, but unsaved, post due to a browser freeze-up. I don't have the heart to try to rewrite the whole thing. It was about political poetry. It was very wise. You'll have to take my word for it.

Anyway, it was all leading up to this poem, by Martin Espada, a poet my uncle Chris introduced to me several years ago, when he insisted that I borrow and read his copy of Espada's excellent collection, Imagine the Angels of Bread. Here's audio of the title poem.

Readers looking for an Espada overview might also check out Alabanza, his recent volume of New and Selected poems.


1 comment:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Impressive. I'll have to find a copy of that book.