Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fool Me Twice...

...shame on me. I returned to Vancouver today to find that, once again, my motorcycle, parked at my employer's office, had been plundered. This time, the helmet--yes, that's right, the more expensive one--was left alone as was my pricey pair of riding gloves, but the thief lifted the dustcover up to take 1) out of one saddle bag, my magnetic tank bag, containing rain jacket and pants 2) out of the other saddle bag, a bag full of bungee cords and 3) from the luggage rack, a Rubbermaid box, containing a pair of rain slicks that fit over my shoes. Again, I've left this stuff on my bike every trip I make and again, it's not especially valuable stuff, but it's stuff that was very useful to me. I'm glad I'm leaving this city. It's really starting to piss me off.

6 comments:

GM said...

Dude, that's a lot of stuff. Are you riding a bike or a barge?

Zachariah Wells said...

When it's your only vehicle, you get creative with cargo space. I ride to work carrying not only the shit that was stolen, but a large backpack, my work kit and my laptop bag. But I think I'm gonna start cabbing to work. It's cheaper, if this sort of thing becomes routine. I'm too junior to have my own locker...

GM said...

This leaves me with an image of you hunched over the handlebars, elbows out, balancing one of those jerry-rigged, army surplus bikes you see in photos of third world urban scenes -- turned into makeshift lorries, hauling teetering, two-story mountains of twine-secured scrap metal.

Zachariah Wells said...

I once transported one of those ginormous bricks of peat moss on the bike. That's why I carry a bag full of bungees (which I've now got to replace, dagnabbit).

Anonymous said...

I hate to say it, but I wouldn't leave that kind of stuff unsecured in Halifax or even Charlottetown either...

Rob Taylor said...

I like to think of Vancouver as considerate and encouraging - when it knows its time for someone to go, it gives them a push.

I have a friend who was planning on moving to Victoria and got in two accidents in the weeks leading up to the move.

Maybe Vancouver just doesn't handle breakups well...

p.s. Was just in Winnipeg - thanks for the tip on Aqua Books - a great place!