Saturday, November 8, 2008

Rocksalt Launch

The Rocksalt launch last night was good fun. A lot of very short readings (20 or so) over about an hour and a quarter. Somehow I got to go last, but the substantial (75 or so) crowd was still very much alert and listening. I made audio of the reading, but have to wait to see if anyone has a problem with their poem-reading being posted before I can upload it. A bunch of folks went out for a beer afterwards. I had the pleasure of hanging out with Peter Trower afterwards, which I hadn't done in too long. Met a few other charming folks as well. Very good time.

I'm off to Montreal tomorrow morning to do battle on Monday with Revenue Quebec in small claims court. This is a matter I've been trying to make go away for almost four years and there's almost $6000 at stake, so it's a big day. The sad thing is, I'm sure that over the course of this dispute, Revenue Quebec has probably expended more than $6000 worth of taxpayers resources and if I win, I intend to seek damages for my travel costs. I've got a damn strong case, otherwise I wouldn't have taken it this far, but I have no prior experience of taking a large institution to court, so I'm a smidge apprehensive. We'll see. Or on verra; the whole procedure's going to be en français. A few more documents to print up and organize and a bag to pack, so that's all for now. Hopefully I'll have good news Monday evening.

No comments: